Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Walgreens Wednesday

I am NOTHING like those extreme couponers you see on t.v., but I have been learning a lot more than I ever thought about coupons.  After watching Extreme Couponing it made me want to figure out how to save more money for our future family.  So my goal is not to have massive stock piles of things that I am not going to use anyway but I have found that it is really easy for the average person to cut the cost of what they spend on necessities like groceries and toiletries.

I wouldn't say I didn't use coupons previously but I also wasn't as diligent at it as I am now.  I would forget the coupons I had at home, I wouldn't always watch the sales, etc.  Now I have my coupon binder and my sales ads ready and I love scoring good deals when putting the two together.  Because of this new adventure my new favorite store has become Walgreens.  I used to run in there every once in a great while when i needed something I forgot and didn't want to park a mile away to go back to Target or Walmart.  Now Walgreens has become my number one place to score great deals.  Again- I am not coming home with 5 shopping carts full of items, but each week I have been able to come home with items that I would normally buy somewhere else for much cheaper.

Here is this week's Walgreens' run:
6 boxes of Hot pockets, 4 cans of Arizona Tea, 3 bars of Dove soap, 2 bags of chex mix, and one bottle of Dawn dish soap
And here is what I paid: $3.21 for the three bars of Dove soap so that I could use the $6.00 Register Rewards I received for it on the next transaction where I paid $3.31.  So my total for all items was $6.52.   If you look closely at the receipts my total savings equals $29.71.  Not bad huh?

I am not an expert by any means but I am happy to share my couponing tips and trips with you so check back friends to read more about them!



6 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I do keep a private adoption blog, but I have to send an email to you to invite you. My email is jesstutt (at) gmail (dot) com- but type it the way a normal address should go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what I don't know for sure is if bloggers ever go backwards to read comments made on older blogs---I'm about to find out I WANTED TO GIVE YOU A TIP-SOME STORES WILL HONOR THERE COUPONS FOR A PERIOD BEYOND EXPIRATION DATE i DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS A CUB NEAR YOU,BUT THEY DO THIS 3 MONTH'S BEYOND THE DATE,ONLY FOR MANUFACTURES COUPONS THO---HAPPY HUNTING

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Glass Case of Emotion- thanks I will send you an email

    @ Judy- we don't have that store around us but I am so glad you told me that. I usually throw them right away when they are expired. But I never thought about asking the store's policy on expired coupons. It doesn't hurt to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I are big into Walgreens. I have no clue why people think Walmart is a good deal-Walgreens sales kill them by a mile. You did good! I was (WAS) proud of my $15 worth of stuff for $7. Sheesh. You blew by that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sue- I totally agree, once I discovered Register Rewards I haven't been to Walmart for toiletries since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, great to know! We have a Walgreens fairly close to us. I'll have to get on their site to get their sales ad before I need to go shopping. And it's not near as crowded, either! Thanks for the tip.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete